Tuesday 24 September 2013

Women and alcohol: Stemming the tide of risky drinking

Award-winning journalist Ann Dowsett Johnston returns to Kingston to launch her new book: Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol at this year’s Kingston WritersFest.  

“Drink” chronicles the rise in risky drinking among women, as well as Ann’s personal story.  In a Toronto Star piece written to coincide with her book launch Ann describes her days in rehab:
 
“I am doing battle. I am battling for consciousness. I want to go to bed sober. I want to remember my dreams. I want to know myself without alcohol.”
 
Women are fast approaching the consumption patterns of men and the alcohol industry is marketing to women like never before.  While many people may say “so what?”, the rising trend in risky drinking among women has those of us working in public health wondering how we can stem the tide.
 
When:  Saturday, September 28, 2013 / 4:30–5:30 pm
Where: Bellevue South, Holiday Inn Kingston
Cost: General admission: $13.50 online /$17.00 onsite



 

No comments:

Post a Comment